Saturday, December 13, 2008

Last class and turning in portfolios

In class on Wednesday you wrote some reflections on the course. To those of you who answered all those questions and sent them to me - thank you for your feedback. I have lots to think about and you gave me some sound ideas for "tweaking" the presentation of this course. Really though, I think what made this course so successful was in a large part due to the openness and interest you brought into the room. I will always remember this course as a remarkable experience - I wept over your papers, came close to tears in our conferences - and was awed by how well you used your writing to move through the material that prompted all those emotions in me. Thank you. And who knows - maybe I will write an essay about it!

Turning in your work

I will be reading through the last blogs this weekend and on Monday I will be in my office from 9:30 - 3:30 to work with you to burn your portfolio CDs or anything else you want to work on. Unless you have made a different arrangement with me, your portfolio is due by 3:30 on Monday.

Grades
The points for writing were listed on the syllabus as:
Writing projects
Drafts + revised personal essay = 150 points
Drafts + revised essay on place/object or person = 150 points
Drafts for reflective essay on writing = 100 points
Portfolio (includes finished writing for two essays + reflective piece)=200 points

As you know, you did not write the reflective essay, so I am revising the scoring as follows:
Drafts + revised personal essay = 150 points
Drafts + revised essay on place/object or person = 150 points
Final revised essay + publication venue selection = 150 points
Portfolio (overall assessment of presentation of materials, quality of writing, completeness + organization for portfolio contents)= 150 points

The process for giving credit for the blog and participation will remain the same.

As soon as I finish looking through your portfolios, I will send you a grade sheet. Anyone whose CD was blank or who was missing a major assignment will then have the opportunity to re-submit. I will submit your grades (as listed on the gradesheets) on Keanwise 48-hours after I send you the grade sheets. That way, if I hear from individuals with missing material - or if I added something up wrong or left something out - I can re-calculate the grade before submitting it on Keanwise. After grades are submitted on Keanwise - that's the grade you get unless you choose to appeal.

You did some wonderful writing this term, and I am looking forward to reading your final revisions.

No comments: