Thursday, November 11, 2010

Narrative descriptions + Working on Essay 4

Tonight we spent some time writing & sharing descriptive writing that not only sets a scene - but also tells a story or implies an idea.

Here is another sample of what I was trying to get at.

I'm standing in the middle of the old bridge crossing the slow stream where it joins Dilner's Pond. Duckweed and spatterdock grow close to the banks, but surface beneath me is undimpled except for a few water striders. The water is very still. It is near midday and the sun is almost overhead. The surface is like a fierce brown mirror and the heat and light bound back from it almost as if they could cast my shadow across the wooden planks if the angler were right. I lean over the railing and suddenly I see fish, 10, maybe 20, made visible by my shadow. I watch them hang there, still except for the flicker of their fins,barely distinguishable against the muddy bottom. Then just as I begin to count them, my face comes into focus and they disappear.

The description makes a point about an idea - but does not state the idea directly.

You then worked in groups to get/give some feedback on Essay 3, and to work on Essay 4. At this point I have conferenced with all of you (except Josh - I've read the essay and will get back to you soon) and it sounds like you are in good shape.

For Monday:
Blog 19: Post whatever writing you have for Essay 4

In class on Monday you have some time to work in groups on your essays, and you will work on setting up a portfolio using google sites. I will give you a template (what you need to post for this class), but ultimately this site might serve as a tool for you to showcase or circulate your writing.

To build this site you will need a gmail account. If you don't have a gmail account - it would help to set one up before coming to class.

Have a great weekend and see you Monday.

No comments: